Monday, June 23, 2014

Consider It Pure Joy


About two weeks ago Josh told me his favorite book of the bible was James so I thought why not do a bible study together on James? I turned to my trusty She Reads Truth community and discovered that, indeed, they had done a bible study previously on James. I love love love SRT and thought it would be perfect to use their bible verses and devotionals for Joshua and I's study. 

Life has be stressed to the m a x for me these past couple months, and it seems like it is progressively becoming more and more stressful. Between trying to earn enough money so we can move out of my parent's house into an apartment, save up to pay bills, figure out where's best to live that's close to Josh's school and close to our work, and just other "grown-up marriage" stuff. Not going to lie. It's been a total suck fest for the last few months.

But that brings me to the James bible study. We are only on day two and yet it has stopped me right in my tracks and spoke right to my soul. Day 2 was about all the trials we face, that we should consider it all pure joy. If you ask me I don't consider stressing about rent, bills, and marriage problems as pure joy. Since we're being truthful here I consider it pure hell. But James tells us to consider it pure joy when trials come our way because it produces great character within us and God will use that to further His kingdom. 

I love this quote from the Day 2 devotional on trials: "Don’t get over them. Don’t rush through them or past them. Rejoice –> IN <– them.."  I am asking God to teach me how to rejoice in my trials. That sounds so... weird to rejoice in our trials, but what God says goes. So Lord, here I am. Teach me how to rejoice in my trials of every kind and teach me how to consider it all pure joy - the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Interested in reading the James devotional? Here is the link to the entire James devotional study

No comments:

Post a Comment